Wednesday 6 November 2013

Pretty Little Pancakes

So the other morning I woke up and had a craving for pancakes. Now I do love my crêpes, but you just can't recreate the same thing without a big hot stone and a window scraping implement like they do in France, so I normally just stick to Delia Smith's simple pancake recipe, and have relatively thin pancakes. (Even if I do deviate slightly from what Delia tells me to do!)
American style scotch pancakes
Freshly cooked breakfast
That morning though I wanted American style, scotch pancakes. Often these are made with buttermilk, I didn't have that hanging around in my fridge though so had to create a new sort of recipe from mixing some together, so here it is!


Scotch Pancake Recipe

  • 100g plain flour
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 18g caster sugar
  • 75g peanut butter (I use a low-fat smooth one)
  • 150ml milk (recipes often say full fat, I always use semi-skimmed though)
  • 1 egg
Scotch pancake recipe
My pancakes a-cooking
  1. Mix flour, baking powder and sugar. I am lazy and can never be bothered to sift the flour, though I'm sure you probably should. I leave it to the balloon whisk on my KitchenAid!
  2. Make a paste with the peanut butter and about a third of the milk, before adding the rest of the milk and egg to mix it all up together.
  3. Slowly mix in the peanut butter, milk and egg with the flour. Keep scraping the sides of the bowl so that it is all well incorporated.
  4. Heat up a big pan - generally with a thick base is helpful - with a little oil to a medium heat, perhaps a little higher, ready to cook the pancakes. Spoon in the batter - I use about a tablespoon of batter per pancake, Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, you will see the raw side start to bubble slightly before you know it is safe to turn it over!
  5. EAT!
Drop Scone Recipe cooking
Having flipped them
I served mine with a little bit of butter and a shake of cinnamon - it went perfectly with the peanut butter hint. Given I made small pancakes, I made 20 of them, in batches of 4 at a time. It meant I froze the ones I didn't eat in little parcels ready for when I needed a carby snack!
The other day I had them toasted and topped with some warm apple compote, also homemade, which was very tasty.
American scotch pancake recipe
With a touch of butter and dusting of cinnamon
Given all these pumpkin dishes I keep spying on Instagram and other blogs (mostly American, but why shouldn't I use pumpkin in the UK?) I want to try and make pumpkin pancakes, so when I get my hands on either a pumpkin or some tinned pumpkin purée I want to experiment and swap in the orange goodness for the peanut butter and see what I get!

How do you like your pancakes?

2 comments :

  1. oooh these look beautiful! i normally make pretty thin crepe-style pancakes as well, and i love them with just lemon & sugar, but there's nothing like thick american pancakes with bacon & maple syrup :) getting hungry just thinking about it!
    the hobbit kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always so fun to try new recipes and see how they turn out! I'm sure these were delicious!

    xx
    Breckenridge Clare

    www.whimofthesouth.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!