Sunday 6 October 2013

Tasty Tapas - Our Spanish Saturday Night In

Partying clearly doesn't really happen in our house! We had a sociable Saturday night in with girls from our course, and as three out of the five of us (not me) study Spanish, what better way than a tapas night? We decided we would put together a dish per person, so we each had something to make/bring.

We checked out Hannah's 'Little Tapas Book' for some ideas, and decided on patatas bravas (potatoes) and a tortilla (Spanish omelette) with aioli/allioli/garlic mayonnaise/whatever you fancy calling it. We also had garlic prawns, chorizo, queso manchego and some lovely bread. We didn't need anything else!


I felt like being fancy, and decided to brave making the aioli (I have been in France, so am sticking with its original Provencal name), and it gave me another chance to crack out my KitchenAid. The only thing wrong with it is that it tasted a bit too oily, so next time (there will be one!) I will use a milder olive oil so the flavour isn't so overpowering.
Aioli Garlic Mayonnaise Recipe
Pre-whisking
Aioli - Allioli - Garlic Mayonnaise
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 egg yolks (use the whites for extra in your tortilla!)
  • 250 mild olive oil
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  1. Crush (or in our case with no garlic press, chop as finely as you can) the cloves of garlic, and mix well with the egg yolks and half the lemon juice
  2. While whisking continuously, very slowly pour in the olive oil - I did this at a very fine drizzle pace, and knocked the speed up on the KitchenAid so that it all combined really well and emulsifies
  3. If it gets too thick, add a bit more of the lemon juice (I ended up adding all, to mask the oily taste!)
  4. Season well - I just used salt and pepper, but throw in some herbs if you fancy
  5. Chill before using, we thought this would help it set a bit better due to a slight overload of lemon. It worked!
Despite the taste of olive oil, it actually worked really well and I was impressed! Plus, when eaten with the patatas bravas, you didn't even notice it.
Cooking a Spanish Omelette Tortilla Recipe
Cooking the tortilla
While the tortilla cooked away, we settled down in front of Strictly Come Dancing, cheeky G&T in hand, and let Saturday night roll in.
Watching BBC Strictly Come Dancing
Enjoying the dancing
Home made Spanish Omelette Tortilla
The finished tortilla
We had a really lovely night, and got even more excited as the table kept filling up as we set it and added more and more dishes to it, I think it was as much as a feast to our eyes as it was to our stomachs!
Table set for tapas
The table was set
Home made tapas
Potatoes, bread, cheese and chorizo were added...
Home made tapas
Prawns were cooked, wine was poured
Girls enjoying Home made tapas
And then we ate!
Did I mention laying the table with all the dishes was exciting?!

4 comments :

  1. I love table setting!! Its the cleaning up part thats not so fun lol!

    AJ | TheAJMinute
    @TheAJMinute

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely dreamy.. could really do with some garlic prawns right now! I'm going to suggest a tapas evening to my house - such a good idea X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such a good idea, I love tapas.

    You're making me miss my uni days living with my friend, also you're in one of my favourite cities - I come from a small town near Nottingham, so growing up Nottingham was THE place to be :)

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!